Bellevue Masters Mile

Race recap - What a fantastic, supportive group of swimmers we have in masters here in the Pacific Northwest. It takes a certain breed of human to slog through 1500m nonstop, staring down at a black line in the pool. But we turned out, we churned through it, and we are humbled by the effort made between volunteers and athletes to make complex meets like these flow successfully. Today was extra special because our Notorious Alki Swimmers lady squad showed up in force to swim this event! It was amazing to have so many friends surrounding each other, counting laps, calming nerves and cheering. Even though I kind of don't want to be cheered (I zen out). 


This was my second EVER pool event at the ripe age of 51. It was my very first event yesterday starting off the block; I had practiced with a local coach and swimmer Susan Parsons just the day prior and she had me leaping in no time. The thing is, Bellevue's blocks are nearly hip high! Nothing like the knee-high ones I practiced off on Saturday. I still did it and all was soaring. Thank you, Susan! 


My 2019 mile was 27:43 at this thing. My 2020 time was 57 seconds slower - phooey. This is an opportunity to revisit interval training and work on my left side rotation. What I lacked in edging up my time, I congratulate fellow Blue Seventy Racing swimmer Gail Geldien, whom I haven't met but she did awesome this year at the event (saw in results!). I also learned that the unicorn bathing suit might be cute, but for a timed event, it was a drag suit that parachuted with every flip turn and scooped up water. Next year if I do this, it'll be in a proper compression suit! I'll take all the turbo power I can get, especially to get that minute back from last time! HA.

You know what performed really well this race? My BlueSeventy Flow goggles! They were comfy, stayed on for that start off the block, never fogged and never leaked. I'll call that a win! Onward! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portage to Gold Beach Community Clubhouse: A 7-mile winter swim!

A glimpse at now (and where did 2022 go)?

About Last Week in La Jolla...