Train vs. Pain

For about 12 years  I have dealt with odd pains, spasms, headaches and horrible leg cramps that have their on and off seasons. Sometimes these require visits to neurology. At this moment it's so bad that I'm "beached" and getting all the care with conservative treatments such as nerve pain meds, acupuncture, massage, warm neck wraps, PT/stretching, strict upright posture, and I'm continuing a no-arms version of personal dryland training at Vashon Strong. Last week I did make a quick bikini jaunt into Puget Sound, because the cold actually feels really good on this pain. Doctors encourage warmth, or a combo of hot/ice changeups. I miss long swims like I've been doing each weekend--and my swim buddies most of all.

What's happened (the Dr. believes) is that one of my neck disc herniations has imposed upon my nerve root, likely C6--where I have known damage anyway. I am not sleeping through the night (for weeks), the pain is intense from neck to wrist day and night. One quick move of the right arm, a twist of the forearm, anything involving the motion of a bicep curl sends pain along that pathway. It is cervical radiculitis and cervical radiculopathy giving me hell. The danger is, the longer the root is impinged, the more permanent the nerve damage can become. It's another three weeks until my new set of MRIs comes through to give us the reality check. We were working off old ones. I immediately started doing the known stretches for this issue. 

I also have ye olde diagnosis of demyelinating myelitis which is the bucket for diseases like MS and those of similar ilk. On the recent neuro exam, I flunked the toe vibration test on both feet and have "clonus" on both feet, too--something called hyperreflexia. Basically this is evidence of an upper motor neuron disorder--not a surprise since there are three lesions in my spinal cord causing communication errors. Swimming, I truly believe, has saved my life and my physical function. It was my first neurologist who suggest I take up swimming back in 2009. (Thank you, Lily Jung). Since then, my lessons across the pool became races in Lake WA, and a relay across the English Channel, six Alcatraz swims and much more. 

I am in the middle of training for my first marathon swim. This has hit the pause button for just a couple weeks, forcing me to rest the arms and get a little spinal relief. The first weekend in March is a 2.5-hour qualifier in San Diego, and as long as I can get through that, I'm going to be happy! Being out of the cold water means less of that earned shock tolerance, so I'm still planning to do some little maintenance dips between now and then. I don't have to be turbo for the qualifier, just cold tolerant. Water will be about 58-59f there. Wish me health!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portage to Gold Beach Community Clubhouse: A 7-mile winter swim!

A glimpse at now (and where did 2022 go)?

About Last Week in La Jolla...