Point to La Pointe, Madeline Island, WI


When my friend Michaela moved to Minnesota, I thought I'd never see her again. I had no plans that called for a midwest visit, until of course she told me about this swim! I cashed in my air miles, booked the swim and a room in Bayfield, and soon enough August arrived. 

I am so used to West Coast topography. The FLATNESS of the land was disorienting to me. After my airport pickup, Michaela introduced me to Lindsay and the three of us road-tripped to Bayfield with an overnight in Duluth. Walleye is a thing in these parts.
A peek of the finish part of the course, from a bluff.

Successful finishes for all of us. 1 hr 8 mins is not nearly my best but it's fine for a new course. 
This was a 2.1 mile crossing.
People in Bayfield are very nice. My favorite part of the trip, after the swim, was a kayak night tour chartered with Rustic Makwa Den. These are the Red Cliff Band of the Chippewa, and they are casual and funny guys who really love their lands. Troy was excellent as a guide. Check out the local wineries and hybrid grape varieties, eat the cheese curds and surrender to the white fish specials!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse at now (and where did 2022 go)?

Swim Buoys: A Must-Wear for Open Water Swimming

Portage to Gold Beach Community Clubhouse: A 7-mile winter swim!