Swim to the Wild Mermaid

I think three times this year I've swum up the Northeast chunk of the island to land at the Wild Mermaid. It is the sweetest reward to emerge onto the boat ramp, peel off the wet stuff, and take my bedraggled self in to Adam and Megan's joint for a delightful pastry and hot cup of coffee. 
Me, Jenna after her first time on this swim, and Amy

Amy

Rebecca

Mary Shemeta on SUP, Rebecca in foreground

Jenna, victorious. "Lotta dark thoughts," she said.

Our route. We ended up cutting the coast and let me tell you, that water is DEEEEEEEP.

This swim route is cake when you swim it as a coastal, but the tides were against us and you really feel that head current in the deep water. It felt like forever getting to Dolphin Point, where you make the final big turn. This whole swim was work.

On a prior swim with Lise of this same journey, we hugged the coast and had a much more favorable tide. The whole inlet after Glen Acres is Muckleshoot oyster beds, really cool to see the operation swimming over it all--bags and tracks galore. The only catch after that was sea creatures! We were tailed by seals much of the way, and near Wingehaven Park I was full on chewed out and lunged at by a river otter! It had me thrilled and giggling and terrified all at once because at that point I was chilled down and trying to make sense of what the hell kind of creature this was--it looked like the Caddyshack gopher at first. It kept lurching out of the water and chattering at me! Needless to say I stayed REALLY close to Lise the rest of the way to the Wild Mermaid. 

I highly recommend this swim!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portage to Gold Beach Community Clubhouse: A 7-mile winter swim!

A glimpse at now (and where did 2022 go)?

About Last Week in La Jolla...