Fitness by water and by land

Look up from the stump at the white spot high in the Madrona tree: bald eagle!

I write this as I hum from endorphins, fresh from weight training. At no time do my neurological deficits show more than when I fatigue! Today was:

  • Rowing warmup 1k meters
  • Plank shoulder touches (20), trx for traps (10), and then trx shoulders (10) - 3 sets of all
  • Bench press builds of increased weight swapped with less reps 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and a 2 encore for better form - did to 77.5 pounds. 
  • Next was core. And then things really fell apart on my right side! 
  • 3 sets of 10 Ab rollouts, side plank each side :30 - left side, no problem; right side....DISASTER
I was like a little kid trying to climb a tree like a big kid and FAILING. Like, I failed so so so badly only on my right side. This is when I really recognize the neurological struggle between what my brain is asking and what my body can deliver under fatigue. UGH. It gives me some direction on needed tune-ups, although there isn't a ton to be done, other than get stronger. The lesions in my spinal cord are stubborn and there's no safe removal of them.

This constant, right side weakness *and diminished sensation* follows me into the water with my right sided stroke strength, reach, propulsion phase and entry cadence--and I'm ALWAYS working on refinement. Myopia from left eye blindness hasn't helped the left side gallop in my stroke either. WHATEVER. Humbled from today but I still made gains in my bench press, and all else went just great. So grateful for what I get out of Vashon Strong!

Yesterday our adventurous assembly of open water swimmers descended onto Gold Beach like a pack of neoprene ninjas, and set out on a one-way excurstion of the 4200-yard variety to Pt Robinson. I was so cold that as soon as we neared the point, I decided that 4k was a fine enough swim and I need to circulate some blood back into my frozen foot nubs! Mary S shot ahead so poor thing was shivering in the wind waiting onshore for me, Mary R and Jenna! Note to other swimmers: Give the fastest swimmer your car key if your vehicle is the one with everyone's dry-off gear in it! Oopsies. 

Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portage to Gold Beach Community Clubhouse: A 7-mile winter swim!

A glimpse at now (and where did 2022 go)?

About Last Week in La Jolla...